Friday, June 17, 2011

The one with the wedding

I had a perfect wedding. It was beautiful and a little chilly and fun. I felt beautiful and happy and goofy. When I was brought up the hill on a golf cart I was nervous because everyone was watching. I was nervous to read my vows because I knew I would cry, and I did, but I made it through. And after we read them to each other and the preacher went on to talk about the symbols of the rings and how our love will never end, I had a feeling of immense peace wash over me, as if God was letting me know that, yes, our love is that strong and we will last forever. I suppose I did have a little bit of cold feet before the wedding, nothing serious, but this feeling of peace was wonderful. Reassuring. Reminding me of what I knew all along.

I think the best part about being married is that now everyone knows how much we love each other. My mother-in-law said on her facebook status that she didn't realize the raw depth of our love until she heard our vows we wrote for each other. I love that we could share that with our families.


In other news, I'm going to have a niece and I'm so excited!! And I got to hear her heartbeat because Becky bought a fetal doppler or something like that, so she can hear it at home. It was beautiful and amazing. I still don't want a baby, but it was beautiful to experience.

And here is the poem I wrote for our wedding:


Creeping in a cave, wet walls of slime at my blind fingertips
I was lost, searching for my way, seeing nothing
Empty caverns reflecting my heart
Still stumbling along senseless, my sight was shaped by a small sheen, swallowed by dark
Breathless I bathed in the blaze, amazed as it played on my flesh
My first taste of light, of your love, I longed for more
The dark, all I knew, turned wretched. I could not go back.
Warily, I went forward, not knowing what I would see, only knowing what I needed to
find
Another light, another torch, another smile
You
Circle by circle I chased the light, gulping down the glimmer
Insatiable
With every glow I needed more of it
Of you
Torch by torch you guided me through my once hopeless cave, igniting my steps with
your love
I trusted you, the light, and followed, not knowing where you were leading me.
And then I saw a very different kind of light, not yellow, but pure white
Unflickering and dazzling, I was brought to my knees in awe.
Colors exploded into my vision, things that I had never seen before filled my eyes
I’m basking in the immensity of your love and I can’t wait to explore this new world
with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment