Monday, July 4, 2011

MN

In Minnesota, they are destroying the land. Logging, mining, etc. I have no real right to care- I'm not a citizen of Minnesota, I don't own anything in Minnesota. But I've spent a week of my life there almost every summer since I was like 6. This year's trip was depressing. Whole stretches of forests have been cleared, leaving only a few scrawny trees. "More than they used to leave..." Dad and Gibson kept saying. This forest has already been destroyed by man once. And before it could regrow into its past glory, it is being destroyed again. Whole other stretches are marked for death, yellow or orange ribbons tied to trees to save. "Payment Unit" signs hung on the outskirts. National Forest land. The government selling its soul because they are so broke. And broken.

It's disgusting.

And mining. The land in Minnesota is full of shit- nickel, copper, iron, etc. The Point has made its living, as it were, on iron ore, ports built just to ship it and transport it. That's fine. Whatever. But now, foreign mining companies want to mine close to where the cabin where I've spent all these weeks of my life. That means 24 hours a day mining. Twenty-four hours a day trucks hauling. (Hauling what? Hauling ASS!) Twenty-four hours a day noise and destruction. New roads, less wildlife. It also poses the threat of poisoning the water that is around it. Something with the metals that they would be mining would cause the formation of sulfuric acid (I think) when exposed to moisture. This acid would then get into the water (in case you haven't heard, Minnesota is land of 10,000 lakes) which would kill fish and other aquatic life. So not only is it killing wildlife, it would disrupt peoples' jobs (I'm not sure how many people make a living off fishing anymore, but still...) and it would severely decline the number of visitors to the area, which would take away thousands of dollars from local businesses. And it would take away homes of people who live in the area that they are mining. So, just overall bad. Bad, bad, bad.

Okay, I'll get off my soap box.

Other than being disgusted by people's greed and lack of conservation, Minnesota was good. It was strange, being separate from my family, kept in the bedroom with Ben. But I suppose that's what marriage gives you.

The water was freezing, shocked your bones. But it was refreshing.

No comments:

Post a Comment