Sunday, August 21, 2011

where i'm going

I know the person that I want to be. It's so refreshing! And I know that it will take a while for me to get all the way there, but I know the direction.

So... I want to make my own food. My own bread, my own tortillas, my own hummus, my own black bean burgers, my own soup, etc. I don't want to have to rely on prepackaged, preservative-ridden, store bought foods. Well, you know... the finished products of food. I'll still have to buy the "raw" materials, such as flour.

I also want to grow what I can of my own food-- vegetables, herbs. That part will take a while since I don't have any growing space, though I suppose I could do some small things. Someday, when Ben and I get a house, I want my yard to be a garden, a field. No grass. Just things that I can harvest, or enjoy looking at (flowers, etc).

And... the final thing, which I am going to begin implementing as soon as I finish off the sandwich meat in my fridge... I'm going to be what I'm calling an at-home vegetarian. Which means that I am not going to be buying or preparing meat in my kitchen. If someone is offering me a meal which has meat in it, I will gladly eat it. If I go out to a restaurant and I want meat, I will not be ashamed to order it. And I'm doing this not because I'm one of those crazy vegetarian types, but for the environment. Livestock production apparently is responsible for 18 percent of worldwide greenhouse gas emissions, so if fatty Americans, who consume waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much meat, would cut meat out of their diet for even one day a week, the world would become a much better place and probably die a little less soon than on the track it is heading now. Of course, meat being expensive and me liking animals plays into the decision, but the environment impact of meat is just... sickening. So, I'm going to do my part, because I like Earth.

So, I'm kind of a hippie. So what? If I had any sewing skills, I'd make my own clothes, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment